Jaime Zurita, senior consultant at Linklaters in Spain, has won the award for Best Senior Lawyer, one of the novelties of the seventh edition of the Expansión Jurídico Awards, which aims to recognise the talent of lawyers over the age of 70 who are still active in Business Law. He is one of the founding fathers of takeover bid law in Spain. Jaime Zurita is also a Commercial Lae Professor and one of the lawyers with the longest track record and experience. He is the last direct disciple of Joaquín Garrigues, and made his doctoral thesis on takeover bids, published in the late seventies, making him the leading lawyer in the field.
Uria Menéndez counsel Violeta Pina has been named Best Young Lawyer. She joined the firm in 2011, and specialises in Tax advice on financing and the issuance of equity, debt and hybrid financial instruments. Pina is also regularly involved in Corporate transactions, Restructuring and Contentious Tax proceedings, such as tax inspections, economic and contentious administrative appeals and tax offences. She also specialises in the application of FATCA and CRS to non-financial entities and transfer pricing.
Alejandro Ortiz is the Best Lawyer of 2021 as determined by the jury of the Expansión Jurídico Awards. The Linklaters partner in Spain was thus the winner in one of the most important categories of these prestigious awards. He is an expert in Mergers and Acquisitions in the field of listed and unlisted companies and private equity. Alejandro Ortiz also has extensive experience in Banking (mainly leveraged finance), Securities market and Restructuring, among other matters. He teaches at ICADE and at the Universidad Complutense, and has participated in many of the takeover bids that have taken place in Spain in recent years.
The Best Deal was the takeover bid for Naturgy by IFM, with the advice from Allen & Overy, Davis Polk, Linklaters, Pérez-Llorca and Uría Menéndez.
Uría Menéndez was awarded the Best law Firm.
The full Award is as follows:
- Best Real Estate Law firm: Uría Menéndez
- Best Energy Law firm: Allen & Overy
- Best Law firm in Tax: Garrigues
- Best in Infrastructure: Clifford Chance
- Best Law firm in Health Sciences: Uría Menéndez
- Best Intellectual Property and Industrial Property firm: Elzaburu
- Best Law firm in Employment: Sagardoy Abogados
- Best Banking firm: Allen & Overy
- Best Law firm in Sustainable Transformation: Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
- Best Law firm in Insurance: Uría Menéndez
- Best Law firm in Digital Economy: Garrigues
- Best Sports Law firm: Senn Ferrero
- Most Innovative Project: Iberdrola
- Best Initiative in Diversity & Inclusion: Deloitte Legal
- Best Legal Performance in Contentious-Administrative Matters: Pérez-Llorca
- Best Pro Bono Initiative: Fundación Pro Bono
- Best Boutique: Oliva-Ayala Abogados
- Best Legal Start Up: Attolón Law
- Best Transaction: Takeover Bid for Naturgy by IFM (Allen & Overy, Davis Polk, Linklaters, Pérez-Llorca and Uría Menéndez)
- Best Senior Lawyer: Jaime Zurita (Linklaters)
- Best Young Lawyer: Violeta Pina (Uría Menéndez)
- Best Lawyer of the Year: Alejandro Ortiz (Linklaters)
- Best Law firm: Uría Menéndez